Saturday, February 12, 2011

Another Black Library novel review..

Photobucket

Santa dropped a Borders gift card into the stocking back in December. A couple of weeks ago I finally went to Borders and I picked up three Black Library novels, one of which was The First Heretic by Aaron Demski-Bowden.

Now, I have my reservations about ADB due to his Night Lord's novel, Silent Hunter. Oiy, did I struggle to get through the book. I remember skimming through the last 30+ pages, just wanting to get to the end.

So, it was with some trepidation that I chose The First Heretic because of its cool looking cover. I'm also happy to say that I was glad I picked it up.

I was hooked from the beginning. I hated the Ultramarines. Those bastards. You have to be a pretty arrogant Space Marine Legion to make a future Chaos Marine Legion look good. Good job, Ultras!

The Word Bearers are True Believers. I found the Legion, as a character, to be worthy of sympathy. If I ever did a CSM army, I pick the Word Bearers.

Logar, the Primarch of the Word Bearers = p***y. Yeah, he came across as easily manipulated by his most trusted advisors, especialy that maniac Kor Phareon. I found Logar to be ancillary to the story.

The lead character, Argel Tal, is an average one, but you can follow the events through his eyes and that's what counts.

I think the book, while not quite Dan Abnett'ish in a sweeping scope, is very good. I'd pick up another ADB novel (Grey Knights due in 2012). I think he's a young guy, learning and getting better at his trade as he goes. We can only expect good things from him in the future.

If you like CSM, hate the Ultramarines, and want to know more about the Eye of Terror at the very beginning of its discovery, this is a book to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment