Wednesday, September 8, 2010

M4A2 Shermans with two different washes

I received a couple of M4A2's, so I painted them up for the 229th / 3rd Gv Mech Corps.

I didn't use the Army Painter dip. Instead, I wanted to try Badab Black and Devlan Mud washes.

Sherman 02 is washed with Badab Black. Sorry, the camera flash distorts the color, but the green is much darker in better light.
Photobucket


Sherman 03 is ashed with Devlan Mud. I liked how Devlan Mud can weather the decals. Also, I think it takes several coats or layers of Devlan Mud for it to be effective.
Photobucket

The turrets and hulls are magnetized. If I get more Battlefront M4A2's, I'll remember to stop putting the main gun at a raised elevation.

Hull decals still have that faint outline, despite using Micro Sol and Micro Set, plus liberal use of Testors Dullcoat. The camera picks up every detail with 3X Zoom, so I can't be too harsh on myself. The decal outline is barely noticeable without focusing on it.

I'm at a crossroads though. The prices of individual tanks is eating my gaming budget. I may decide to just strip and repaint the Old Glory M4A2's. Doing so will put two armies out of action though, so I'm a little reluctant to do it right now with modeling time limited.

The other thing I have to consider is after the Budapest books is out and there are M4A2(76)'s available, how much is it going to cost to equip? If I go with Old Glory, then I'd want to use the Old Glory M4A2's, because they're the same scale. Battlefront minis are slightly bigger.

I guess I'll wait until Budapest is out later this year.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment